Where Can You Get Custom Jewelry Made?
As more people have begun looking to make meaningful purchases and express themselves through fashion, demands for jewelry have shifted towards versatility and personalization—instead of cheap jewelry trends that go out of style. Custom jewelry is considered one of the best gift ideas for anniversaries, birthdays, and other special occasions—and it’s the perfect choice of accessory for those looking to elevate their style.
That being said, not every place that sells custom jewelry is of equal quality. To help you find the best custom jewelry online for a good price and high quality, we’ve put together a guide on where to buy custom jewelry (and what to avoid).
Quick Navigation [Hide]
- What Is Custom Jewelry?
- How Custom Jewelry Is Made
- The Different Types of Places to Get Custom Jewelry
- How Much Does Custom Jewelry Cost?
- How Long Does it Take to Make Custom Jewelry?
What Is Custom Jewelry?
Okay, chances are, if you’re wondering, “where can I get custom-made jewelry,” you probably have a good understanding of what custom jewelry is. However, some places that sell “custom jewelry” can be a bit misleading; there is a difference between 100% customizable jewelry and mass-produced jewelry with personalization options.
Here’s the difference between true custom jewelry vs. “personalizable” forms of mass-produced jewelry.
- Custom-made jewelry: One-of-a-kind jewelry that has been custom-made according to the buyer’s specific tastes and desired jewelry design. Custom jewelry is unique to you; you can create something that no one else has—down to the gemstones, metals, engravings, and details.
- “Personalizable” mass-produced jewelry: Also known as “custom finish” jewelry, this type of jewelry comes in a variety of options for the buyer to select. The jewelry has already been manufactured in mass quantities; the buyer may select different metals, gem colors, charms, or add an engraving, but the design is not unique to you.
For example, if you’re looking for places to make custom jewelry bracelets, you’ll encounter two types of stores. Stores that make real custom bracelets will create a bracelet according to your design specifications, desired budget, and materials. The bracelet didn’t exist before you envisioned it.
The second kind of place may sell “personalized” bracelets that allow you to pick specific charms or add an engraving, but that style of bracelet isn’t unique, and other people may have some of the same charms in different combinations.
How Custom Jewelry Is Made
Regular Price: $10,950.00
Special Price $5,495.00
Regular Price: $6,097.00
Special Price $1,895.00
Regular Price: $12,500.00
Special Price $4,995.00
If you want to know how to get custom jewelry made, it’s important to know the process used to make custom jewelry. The jewelry customization process can vary slightly from store to store, and small differences may affect your choice.
In general, here is the custom jewelry making process:
- Design: The buyer submits a loose sketch of their custom jewelry design and discusses their vision further during a consultation, including their desired budget.
- Digital Modeling: The custom jewelry store will then make a more detailed jewelry sketch if needed and then begin creating a digital 3D jewelry design with special software.
- 3D Modeling: If the digital design is approved, the custom jewelry artists will then work on a 3D wax or resin design to create the right dimensions.
- Casting: Once the 3D design is complete, the custom jewelry makers can begin casting the design with metals such as gold, silver, or platinum.
- Forging and Filigree: After the basics are complete, the jewelry maker will forge metal elements to harden and secure them. If the design includes custom filigree (such as an ornate custom diamond engagement ring), an expert jewelry maker will make the custom metal filigree by hand or using a machine, depending on the store.
- Gemstone Setting: Once the metal has been forged, the jewelry maker will then set the gemstones.
- Personalized engraving: If the buyer has requested an engraving for their custom jewelry, the artist will then add it.
- Final details: In the last stage of the custom jewelry-making process, the artists will add any desired finish (such as matte or polished) and final details, such as texturing.
The final steps, such as payment and shipping, will depend on the type of store, its payment plans, and shipping/pick-up options. Ideally, the customer should be informed during each step of the process to ensure that it meets their expectations for price, design, and materials.
The Different Types of Places to Get Custom Jewelry
Regular Price: $6,400.00
Special Price $1,995.00
Regular Price: $4,995.00
Special Price $2,195.00
Regular Price: $9,950.00
Special Price $4,995.00
Due to the rising popularity of custom jewelry, if you’re looking for where to get custom jewelry made, you have several different options. The most popular places to buy custom jewelry are specialized jewelry stores and online marketplaces, such as Etsy. Let’s compare both options.
Specialized Jewelry Stores
While there are many different types of jewelry stores, not all jewelers make their own jewelry—they may purchase it pre-made from a wholesale jewelry store. The best place to buy custom jewelry is a high-end custom jewelry store that has experience in the art of jewelry making.
Some of the advantages of buying custom jewelry from a high-end jewelry store are:
- These stores offer a wider selection of high-quality materials (i.e. solid gold, sterling silver, platinum) and can provide certificates of authenticity.
- Experts have the knowledge to hand-make custom jewelry, improving durability and quality of details.
- They have established themselves in a highly competitive field, making them more trustworthy.
- The staff can offer specialized advice for caring for your custom jewelry.
- You can create all of your custom jewelry there (such as matching wedding ring sets for a streamlined look, custom earrings, or personalized pendants).
- They can help you develop your dream design, even working with a loose sketch.
Some of the cons of buying custom jewelry from a high-end jewelry store are:
- Some brand-name jewelry companies charge significantly more for custom pieces.
- Smaller specialized jewelry stores may have a wait time.
- Not all custom jewelry stores have an endless selection of styles or jewelry types (some stores might only specialize in custom rings or women’s custom jewelry).
What to Look for in a Specialized Custom Jewelry Store
The specialized jewelry stores that specialize in manufacturing their own jewelry and providing wholesale jewelry to retailers often offer competitive prices compared to other stores because they can cut out the cost of the middle man.
ItsHot is a great example of a high-end jewelry store that offers good prices on custom jewelry. At ItsHot, you can buy custom jewelry for a price that’s similar to what you would pay for non-customized jewelry in a retail jewelry store.
Because we make our own jewelry in-house, we’re able to cut costs by buying precious metals and gemstones at a discount. As a result, our jewelry has the look and feel of luxury name brand jewelry without the upcharge.
With a reputable high-end jewelry store like ItsHot, you don’t have to worry about quality control, customer service, or shipping damages. We work with our customers to make sure they are happy with the product and budget requirements at each step. All of these things can take the stress out of making your own jewelry.
Another popular option for buying custom jewelry online is on marketplaces like Etsy or even Instagram jewelry shops. Places like Etsy allow artists to sell hand-made jewelry with customization options, making them a popular place for people to buy custom jewelry as a gift or special occasion.
Some of the advantages of buying custom jewelry from Etsy or a marketplace are:
- You can easily find budget-friendly options for custom jewelry, as well as unique materials like wood, resin, and titanium.
- Some sellers excel at vintage styles, using recycled vintage materials.
- Small businesses may have more responsive customer service.
- It’s easy to find reviews for an artist’s custom jewelry.
- Some artists are known for their specific jewelry niche and can easily help you if you aren’t sure of your design.
Some of the cons of buying custom jewelry from Etsy or marketplace store are:
- Some scams exist (i.e. not all authentic gemstones, gold-plated may be sold as real gold), and it’s harder to guarantee the quality grade of the materials.
- The quality may vary or change depending on the style and type of jewelry.
- You may have to modify your design significantly for it to fit your budget.
- Shipping costs may be expensive and might not be covered for loss or theft.
- They don’t always offer phone assistance or detailed consultations.
Overall, buying custom jewelry from a marketplace is a bit of a mixed bag. You may find a good deal, or you may pay several times the cost of materials for the labor. With smaller marketplace stores, you’re less likely to know for certain the grade of diamonds, the authenticity of gemstones, or metal purity.
What to Look for in a Marketplace Store
If you do decide to buy from a marketplace store, here are some tips for buying custom jewelry on Etsy or small online shops to avoid getting ripped off:
- Discuss their policies in-depth (returns, shipping insurance, fees, payment, etc).
- Read their reviews and make sure they sound legit.
- Ask how long they’ve been in the jewelry business.
- Ask what their process is like and how long it takes.
In general, don’t be afraid to ask as many questions as possible from the marketplace seller. This is true for buying from a jewelry store as well—a true professional will be able to answer every question with transparency.
How Much Does Custom Jewelry Cost?
There are various cost factors that can affect the price of custom jewelry. Some of these factors are the type of metal and its purity, the total weight, the gemstone and diamond grade, the complexity of the design, the brand name, shipping costs, and the overall labor required.
To estimate the cost of custom jewelry at ItsHot, it’s a good idea to search for similar jewelry pieces for sale online (similar karat purity, total carat weight in diamonds, size, etc.) or look at the jewelry cost factors in our jewelry education blog section. We affirm the price of your personalized jewelry piece after you know your desired budget design vision.
How Long Does it Take to Make Custom Jewelry?
On average, it takes 4–6 weeks to make custom jewelry, but the length of time can vary depending on a variety of factors (such as the complexity, number of gemstones, and length of time it takes to perfect your design for your budget).
At ItsHot, it takes an average of 1–4 weeks to receive your custom jewelry, due to our many years of experience manufacturing jewelry. However, making something like an iced-out custom diamond chain necklace with Franco links will take quite a bit longer than making a custom gold bangle bracelet.
Overall, you can expect custom jewelry or personalized diamond watches with very intricate details to take more time to make than simpler designs.
Create High-Quality, Totally Unique Custom Jewelry at ItsHot
Regular Price: $7,650.00
Special Price $3,150.00
Regular Price: $39,000.00
Special Price $16,500.00
Regular Price: $36,750.00
Special Price $11,950.00
The question you might be thinking now is, “who makes custom jewelry online better than ItsHot?” Well, we can’t really direct you elsewhere—we’re proud of our craft, and we’re passionate about helping customers get the best custom jewelry they could ask for. Our store is located in New York City’s Diamond District, and all of our jewelry is made in the USA.
We’ve been providing luxurious custom jewelry online for years now, offering customers a vast selection of authentic gold, platinum, sterling silver, diamonds, and gemstones to choose from. Unlike other manufacturers, we have experience with a wide array of designs and styles of custom jewelry for men and women.
So, if you’re interested in designing your own jewelry and having us make it, feel free to send us a design and schedule a consultation. You can contact us at sales@ItsHot.com or call us at 1-866-423-6262.
Sorry, only registered users can add to wishlist. Please log in or register.