How Do You Measure Your Ring Size?
Did you know that on average, a person’s ring finger size is a ½ size larger on their dominant hand than their non-dominant hand? It’s probably not the case if you’re lucky enough to be ambidextrous. Your finger sizes could even be different if you’ve had a job that requires the use of your hands in a specific way since different professions affect hand shape.
Okay, so as interesting as finger size science can be, you’re probably looking for much more practical information. How can you measure your ring size to know what size ring to get? It’s an important question, and we’ve got the answers.
Here’s our guide for knowing how to measure ring size at home, complete with a ring size measurement chart, and tips for figuring out the best way to measure ring size.
Whether you’re buying a wedding ring or engagement ring to declare your love, a right-hand ring to reward your hard work, or a flashy pinky ring to show off your audacity, you want it to fit right.
If it’s too big, your ring could spin. If your ring is too small, it might make you panic and mess up everything in your home as you search desperately for a pair of pliers and a bottle of olive oil. No? Just us? Well, regardless—a ring that’s too small just isn’t right. Here are two ways for how to measure a ring size for men and women.
Quick Navigation [Hide]
Measuring Your Finger Diameter with a String
You don’t need a ring sizer to find out your ring size. One easy way to measure ring size is with a humble piece of string. A ribbon, thread, or a thin-cut strip of paper can also work.
- Take the string (or paper strip, thread, etc) and wrap it around your finger—at the finger’s base, near your knuckle.
- Mark the spot where the string connects to its end with a marker (or pen or whatever works).
- Measure the string segment with a ruler or tape measure that has millimeter markings.
Once you have that measurement, you can compare it to our ring size chart.
Ring Size Measurement Chart
Here’s our ring size chart for comparing your own finger measurement in mm to ring size. The US and UK ring sizes are different, so we have included both measurements. To find your ring size in cm, you would just add a zero, since 1 millimeter is 0.1cm.
|UK and Australian Ring Size||USA and Canada Ring Size||Finger Circumference (in mm)|
|G 1/2||3 3/4||46.1|
|H 1/2||4 1/4||47.4|
|K 1/2||5 1/2||50.6|
|M 1/2||6 1/2||53.1|
|O 1/2||7 1/2||55.7|
|Q 1/2||8 1/2||58.2|
|S 1/2||9 1/2||60.8|
|U 1/2||10 1/2||63.3|
|W 1/2||11 1/2||65.9|
If you want to put your measurement in inches to millimeters, you can use this inches to millimeters conversion calculator, or do the math yourself. 1 inch is equal to 25.4 millimeters, so you would just multiply your size in inches by 25.4 to get your millimeter size.
Measuring Your Finger Diameter with a Ring Sizer
4 Carat Ladies Diamond Ring 14k Gold Unique Wedding Band Baguette Diamonds
Regular Price: $10,950.00
Special Price $5,995.00Earn 29,975 ItsHot Reward Points
2.8ct Diamonds & Ruby Ring For Women 18k Gold Engagement Ring By Luxurman
Regular Price: $6,488.00
Special Price $2,995.00Earn 14,975 ItsHot Reward Points
14K Gold Diamond & Emerald Eternity Band for Women 2 Carat Anniversary Ring
Regular Price: $4,395.00
Special Price $2,199.00Earn 10,995 ItsHot Reward Points
Another good way to measure your finger diameter size for a ring is with a ring sizer. If you have plastic sample rings in different sizes, you can use those. If you don’t have a ring sizer already, you can use our free printable ring sizer.
- *Uncheck all "scale to fit page" checkboxes when printing so that it will print with an accurate size.
- Print and cut out ring sizer. Cut a small slit that is marked with an arrow.
- Place ring sizer comfortably around finger by slipping pointed end through the slit, numbers facing out.
- Secure the ring sizer by pulling the pointed end snuggly around your finger like a belt, tight but can still move it around. Be sure it’s not too tight or too loose.
- Your approximate ring size should be the number that appears where it says “Read Size Here”.
If you’d like, you can combine both the ruler/string method and the ring sizer methods to determine your ring size for your thumb, pinky, ring finger, or whatever digit you like enough to put a ring on it.
How to Measure Someone Else’s Ring size
How do you measure a ring size for women if it’s a surprise? Or how do you men’s ring size without him knowing? If you’re buying a ring as a gift, or you want to give your special someone a surprise, you’ll have to know how to measure someone else’s ring size.
First of all, if you’re measuring someone else’s finger and it’s not a surprise, you can either use one of the methods above, or you can buy the size of a ring they already own.
- To use our printable ring sizer to figure out someone else’s ring size for a surprise, If using a ring from his or her current jewelry collection. Place the ring on a circle within the chart below. The correct circle size should fit right against the inside edge of the ring.
- Or, trace the inside circle on a piece of paper, or press the ring into clay or a bar of soap to make an impression.
- Another way to do this is to put the ring on one of your own fingers as far as you can comfortably. Draw a line where it stops. A jeweler can measure the circumference to estimate what size engagement ring to get.
It’s a good idea to learn someone’s ring size in advance, so you don’t have to scramble to find out. That said, a lot of people don’t even know for certain their own ring size, so you may have to estimate their ring size.
How to Estimate Someone’s Ring Size
Unique 3 Carat Diamond Women's Diamond Wedding Band 18K Gold Anniversary Ring
Regular Price: $5,995.00
Special Price $3,828.00Earn 19,140 ItsHot Reward Points
Unique 14K Gold Wide Diamond Wedding Band 6.55ct Ladies Anniversary Ring
Regular Price: $19,500.00
Special Price $11,995.00Earn 59,975 ItsHot Reward Points
Unique 18k Gold White & Black Diamond Cocktail Ring for Women Dome 19 Carats
Regular Price: $20,323.00
Special Price $9,995.00Earn 49,975 ItsHot Reward Points
If you don’t have another ring to go by, you can follow the steps of how to estimate ring size:
- The average women’s ring size in the U.S. is 6 (based on a female who is 5'4" tall and weighs 140 lbs.)
- If she’s more slender or has thin fingers, you can guess that her ring size is probably in the 4.5 to 5.5 range.
- If she is taller, heavier, or has a larger bone size in her hands, you can estimate her ring size as in the 6.5 to 7.5 range.
The average men’s ring size typically ranges from 8 to 14. Sizes 8 – 12 are among the most commonly purchased. The average ring size for men is 10.
It's always better to buy a ring a bit bigger than you think he/she will need: sizing a ring down is much easier than sizing a ring up.
Tips to Make Sure You Find The Correct Size
Here are some tips to make your ring size measurement more accurate:
- After sliding the ring sizer on, make sure it slides off fairly easily over the knuckle.
- If your knuckle is bigger than the base of your finger, measure both the knuckle and the finger base and choose a size that’s in between the two.
- Don't measure cold fingers. This is when fingers are their smallest. This is also why you should avoid wearing rings in cold water—your finger size will decrease and the ring could fall off.
- For the most accurate reading, measure the finger at the end of the day when the finger is the largest.
- A comfortable ring fit should be snug enough so it won't fall off and loose enough to slide over your knuckle relatively easily.
- Measure your finger size 3 to 4 times for more accuracy.
Remember that if you have to compromise, it’s better to have a ring fit slightly too tight rather than too loose, as you don’t want it to fall off. If your ring size doesn’t fit, you should take it in to get it re-sized.
Find the Right Size and the Right Style
Unique Three Stone 8 Carat Oval Cut Diamond Engagement Ring 18k Gold
Regular Price: $89,000.00
Special Price $69,500.00Earn 347,500 ItsHot Reward Points
Affordable Princess Cut Diamond Engagement Ring 1.5 Carat 14K Gold
Regular Price: $3,500.00
Special Price $2,195.00Earn 10,975 ItsHot Reward Points
Classic Platinum Solitaire Princess Cut Diamond Engagement Ring 1.2 Carat VS
Regular Price: $15,000.00
Special Price $8,350.00Earn 41,750 ItsHot Reward Points
Here at ItsHot, we’ve got a vast selection of rings for men and women. We have over 20 years of professional service manufacturing jewelry that meets high-quality standards.
To find a unique and meaningful ring as a gift for yourself or for someone else, feel free to browse our online selection of rings and custom-made jewelry. Or, for rings on sale, check out our clearance deals.
All of our unique ring designs come with a 1-year warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee return policy to assure your satisfaction.
Founder of ItsHot.com
Denis Stepansky is a founder of ItsHot, a diamond jewelry and watches store based in NYC. He has been in the jewelry business for about 20 years and owns such high-end jewelry brands as Luccello and Luxurman. As a jewelry expert, he has citations on well-known magazines and newspapers like Insider and Daily Mail.
Sorry, only registered users can add to wishlist. Please log in or register.