How Much Is a Real Gold Chain?
There’s nothing like a real gold chain necklace. It’s in style right now, more than ever. It’s the golden age of golden chains. It’s the perfect accessory to show off your unique individual style, and express your personality.
But how much should you spend on a real gold chain? How much does a gold necklace cost, and what is the real gold chain price range for different styles? It’s totally possible to find a relatively cheap real gold chain, as well as a luxurious gold chain that doesn’t break the bank. You just have to know how to find the best deals.
It’s important to know what factors influence the cost of a gold chain, so you don’t pay too much for one. You want to get the best price gold chain you can, whatever your budget. Here’s our guide for gold chain cost factors with helpful buying tips.
Quick Navigation [Hide]
How to Determine Good Gold Chain Prices
The gold chain’s roots in hip-hop go hand-in-hand with its role as a status symbol, a representation of success, personal and social identity, and cultural homage. Although it’s associated with wealth and success—not all gold chains are extremely expensive.
If you look at the most expensive gold chains in the world, you’ll notice these are iced out in diamonds, custom pendants, precious gemstones, and intricate craftsmanship. These gold chain necklaces represent the upper echelon of expensive gold chains. There are many gold chain styles that contain real gold and real diamonds that cost a fraction of the price.
When determining the price of a gold chain, there are many different factors that come into play. Here are the different elements that help you figure out how much a gold necklace costs.
Regular Price: $3,260.00
Special Price $1,532.00Earn 7,660 ItsHot Reward Points
Regular Price: $5,030.00
Special Price $2,239.00As low as: $1,024.70Earn 11,195 ItsHot Reward Points
Regular Price: $69,500.00
Special Price $41,000.00As low as: $30,800.00Earn 205,000 ItsHot Reward Points
When it comes to valuing the prices of gold chain necklaces by dimension, the weight of a gold chain is a factor to consider—not the length of the gold chain, although longer chains will weigh more than a shorter chain of the same width and gold karat.
The price of a gold chain is typically higher if the gold chain’s weight is heavier. This isn’t always the case, since there are many other factors in determining how much a gold chain is worth, but nevertheless, there should be some kind of representation of the gold chain’s weight in its total cost.
Some things to know about gold chain weight and price:
- The total weight of a gold chain includes the gold, as well as the gemstones.
- The gold karat weight is the weight of just the gold metal in the chain.
- The carat weight is the weight of the diamonds/gemstones.
The price of gold per ounce/gram fluctuates frequently. To figure out the cost of gold for its weight, you’ll want to look online at the current price of gold (or other metal, such as platinum price) to calculate the cost of the raw gold material.
How much does a 14K gold chain cost?
Let’s look at the different values of cost of 14K gold necklace (solid gold).
- A 14K solid gold chain weighing 825 grams (quite a large chain) would be currently worth $26,432 for the gold. This is how much just the gold itself is worth. The craftsmanship of the chain, and/or additional diamonds/gemstones, will increase the cost of 14K gold necklace significantly.
- A 14K solid gold chain weighing 31 grams is currently worth $993.20 for its gold alone.
- A 10K solid gold chain weighing 35 grams is currently worth $809.02.
As you can see above, the gold purity (karats) affects the price of the gold differently per weight. The 10K solid gold chain weighs more than the 14K solid gold chain but is cheaper. An 18K gold chain would cost more than the 14K chain. This is something to keep in mind when looking for a cheaper gold chain without sacrificing the chain’s weight or dimensions.
Keep in mind that the raw value of the gold in a chain itself is not going to be the same as the cost of a gold chain. Crafting a chain necklace out of gold takes skill and time, as does crafting and adding diamonds.
Hollow Gold Chain Weight and Price
A 10K hollow gold chain weighing 42.7g would be worth $987.00 in gold alone. Hollow gold chains are made of real gold, so you calculate their gold value based on weight the same as you would a solid gold chain.
The difference is that they feel lighter than a solid gold chain would at the same dimensions. A solid 10K gold chain at these same dimensions would weigh more than 42.7g, so it would also be worth more.
Worth More Than Its Weight in Gold
The price of a gold chain will never be the same as its gold weight value, and the overall value of a gold chain (unless it’s broken) is much more than just its gold weight value.
That said, if a seller’s prices for men's gold chains of different karats and weights are not consistent, you might not be getting a good deal. So it is a helpful basis to know how much just the gold itself is worth in its weight.
Regular Price: $6,100.00
Special Price $3,660.00Earn 18,300 ItsHot Reward Points
Regular Price: $40,000.00
Special Price $22,000.00Earn 110,000 ItsHot Reward Points
Regular Price: $330.00
Special Price $249.00Earn 1,245 ItsHot Reward Points
Another factor that determines the gold necklace cost is the carat weight of the diamonds. The carat weight of the diamonds consists of two weight measurements: the total carat weight and the individual carat weight of the individual diamonds.
- Typically, the higher the carat weight of an individual diamond, the bigger its size on the gold chain (although different diamond cuts and shapes can affect its diameter measurements).
- Total carat weight refers to the sum of each of the diamonds’ carat weights. This gives you an idea of the total diamond carats for a diamond earring that has multiple diamonds.
A one-carat diamond weighs 200 mg. This is the individual carat weight. Three one-carat diamonds would have a total carat weight of 3 carats or 600mg.
Like gold, the price of diamonds varies, and its grade (color, cut, clarity, carat) can affect its price significantly.
Here is a current chart with estimates for diamond prices per carat:
|Diamond Carat Weight||Price Per Carat||Total Price||Average Price of a Good Diamond for the Carat|
|0.50 Carat||$1,100–$7,690||$550 - $3,845||$1,000|
|0.75 Carat||$1,810–$8,800||$1,360 - $6,600||$2,400|
|1.00 Carat||$1,910–$15,650||$1,910 - $15,650||$4,280|
|1.50 Carat||$2,985–$22,330||$4,480 - $33,500||$9,360|
|2.00 Carat||$4,025–$42,180||$8,050 - $84,360||$15,280|
|3.00 Carat||$6,190 –$50,070||$18,580 - $150,220||$40,830|
|4.00 Carat||$7,575 –$68,130||$30,300 - $272,520||$70,320|
|5.00 Carat||$8,430–$70,370||$42,150 - $351,850||$105,010|
Both the total carat weight and the carat weight and grade of individual diamonds will affect the price of a gold chain.
- A gold chain with a total carat weight of 52.87ct is going to cost about $23,798.00 (on sale), taking into consideration the 155g of 10K gold (subtract carat weight—10.574— from total weight of 166g) and the 52.87 carats of diamonds.
- If you compare this to a 10K solid gold chain without diamonds weighing 120g, the price difference is significant (this chain is currently $6,495.00).
Diamonds and other gemstones add to the value of a gold chain, but calculating the individual prices of the diamonds can be complicated. To figure out the diamond price, look at the total carat weight, the cut of the diamonds, and grade, and then calculate their price.
There are three main colors of gold—rose gold, yellow gold, and white gold. Which color of gold is the most expensive? How does the gold color affect the cost of a gold chain necklace?
The price of gold chain will depend on how pure the actual gold content in the necklace is (its karats). This is regardless of the gold color. The higher the karat, the more pure the gold. The price of the gold weight can be calculated the same for all three colors of gold as you would yellow gold.
As mentioned above, the higher the karat, the purer the gold. So, when it comes to rose gold price vs yellow gold price vs white gold price, the cost should only differentiate when the karat increases.
- So, the same so the same 14K solid gold Miami Cuban Link Chain weighing 400g will cost the same if it’s rose gold, yellow gold, or white gold. The prices should only be different if a certain color is going on sale due to being less popular at a given time.
- Sometimes, white gold will be more expensive, because it adds time to the craftsman’s process of making it.
There are also black gold chain necklaces that have been coated in rhodium, a strong metal. This will tack on a slight increase in price due to the value of rhodium.
Another aspect that influences the price of a gold chain is its style. Different styles of gold chains (for men and women) take more skill and time to make, so they will cost more. In addition, adding diamonds and gems takes more time and skill as well.
- Hand-made gold chains will cost more than machine-made gold chains. They’re also higher in quality and overall value.
- Some chain styles are easier to make with a machine, and can also be good options. They will be cheaper than the same chain that’s hand-made.
- More intricate styles of gold chains cost more (Miami Cuban Link, Figaro Chain, Mariner Chain, etc)
Here, you can compare two similar gold chains.
- First, this 14K solid gold chain for women has a 1mm thickness.
- It’s a simple style of gold chain necklace
- It’s for sale for a price of $108 (retail $216)
- Next, this 14K solid gold wheat chain for women has a 1mm thickness.
- It’s a more complex chain link-style necklace.
- It’s for sale for a price of $183 (retail $269)
You can see how, although similar in width and of equal 14K gold, the more complicated style costs more. Both chains are great for women’s pendants, but if you’re looking for a cheap gold chain for women, the simpler type of chain will save you money.
Regular Price: $524.00
Special Price $298.00As low as: $177.00Earn 1,490 ItsHot Reward Points
Regular Price: $346.00
Special Price $202.00Earn 1,010 ItsHot Reward Points
Regular Price: $500.00
Special Price $285.00Earn 1,425 ItsHot Reward Points
In addition to diamonds, gold chain necklaces can have different gemstones. Not all gemstones are equally rare and valuable. There are certain gemstones that are the most expensive gems in the world due to their rarity. Other precious gems will also remain valuable due to their limited existence.
Compare these three similar gold chains for women with different colored gemstones:
- 14K Gold Chain Necklace with 1.6ct of Rubies: on sale for $499 (retail $1500)
- 14K Gold Chain Necklace with 1.33ct of Emeralds: on sale for $344 (retail $631)
- 14K Gold Chain Necklace with .75ct of Sapphires: on sale for $329 (retail $1,050)
While they all have slightly different total carat weights, the carat prices are different for all three gemstones. Rubies are the rarest of these colored gemstones, followed by sapphire and emerald.
- That said, the sapphire necklace is on a better sale than the emerald necklace, so it’s a particularly good deal. The price reduction follows the popularity/time it took to sell, rather than the gemstones.
- Furthermore, if you look at these three necklaces, you’ll notice the ruby gold chain is by Luxurman. Being a designer brand, its value is greater due to the brand name.
- In this case, you can choose three different colors of gold for each necklace (yellow gold, rose gold, and white gold) without an increase in price (some sellers don’t charge more for white gold).
This is why it’s always a good idea to look at retail price vs wholesale sales price—you can save a greater percentage of money on a gold chain if you know the individual values of gold, diamonds, and gemstones.
Whether you’re shopping for gold chain necklaces for men or gold chains for women, the factors that go into price are pretty complex. In addition to the weight of the chain, gold karats, diamond karats, design, brand, and type of gemstone—there is an added element of popularity.
This is why some stores, such as us here at ItsHot.com, have a clearance section that is continuously updated. We offer wholesale prices on our clearance jewelry, so all that remains is the additional cost of the expert’s craftsmanship and innovative design.
To check out affordable gold chains, shop our different categories of gold chain necklaces. For more information on choosing a type of gold or other metal for your chain necklace, check out our types of metal buying guide.
Sorry, only registered users can add to wishlist. Please log in or register.